The Cedars Cancer Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) was established in 1966 orginally as the Harley Chamandy Memorial Fund of the Royal Victoria Hospital and later as the Cedars Cancer Research Fund. Planting the seeds for what is today the Cedars Cancer Institute were a dedicated group from the Lebanese-community of Montreal.
The original purpose of the organization was, and continues to be, to raise funds for the fight against cancer only at the Royal Victoria Hospital and today throughout the MUHC. Cedars’ beginnings focused on research and the purchase of state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment equipment and facilities. Over the past 40 years, efforts have leaned toward patient care and cancer education. A network of psycho-social and humanitarian support for the cancer patients and their families is provided by the Cedars CanSupport program and the Wilfrid Howick Humanitarian Endowment Fund. Cedars’ strong commitment to cancer education is demonstrated by the creation of the Fellowship Fund, providing cancer specialists with the opportunity to further their education in order to benefit the hospital, university and, above all, the patient. In addition, Cedars has created two Annual Visiting Professorships in Oncology which bring world-renowned researchers, educators and physicians to the McGill teaching hospitals. There is the Vivian Saykaly Visiting Professorship in Medical Oncology, established via a generous endowment by the Saykaly family in honour of Mrs. Saykaly, and the Edward J. Tabah Visiting Professorship in Surgical Oncology.
Because of its diverse channels towards its goals, the Cedars Cancer Institute has established itself as an organization which is constantly searching for better and more creative ways to facilitate the strain that cancer imposes on the lives of so many people.
January 30, 2015
Embassy Plaza 1003 Cure-Labelle, Laval